Start/Stop Service

Connection of Service

  • Application for electric service must be made by calling SVEC at (800) 234-7832 during regular business hours from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Find the office location closest to you by visiting our Contact page.

The following information is required when applying for new residential service:

  • Social Security Number
  • Date of Birth
  • Service Address
  • Mailing Address
  • Phone Number
  • Employment Information
  • If you are a James Madison University student, provide UDAP (Utility Deposit Assistance Program) number

Connections and transfers of electric service require 24 hours of notice.


  • An evaluation will be conducted at the time of the application to determine if a deposit is required
  • If a deposit is needed, the first installment of the deposit must be paid before electric service is connected
  • A $5 membership fee and signed membership certificate is required for all applicants

If you are building a structure that will need electricity, whether you are a new member or an existing member, please notify SVEC staff. Learn more by visiting our New Member Information page.

Non-Residential Application for Service

Anyone seeking to connect with SVEC for non-residential or non-seasonal services (barns, industries, etc.) must complete this document and return to SVEC:

Non-Residential Application for Service (PDF)

Disconnection of Service

  • To disconnect your electric service, the account holder can call SVEC at (800) 234-7832 or visit one of our office locations during regular business hours from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Disconnects require 24 hours of notice
  • A forwarding address is needed

For more information regarding electric service, visit our Terms & Conditions page to view the cooperative’s Terms and Conditions.