SVEC will offer a limited number of paid summer internships to college students who have completed at least one full year (two semesters) of education. This program gives students the opportunity to connect with the workforce while increasing their knowledge of on-the-job skills and responsibilities. Students are selected based on relevant background, interests and the ability to meet the following requirements:
- A relevant field of study to the specialty areas offered by the cooperative.
- Dependability and availability during co-op business hours (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) for four days per week;
- A valid driver’s license;
- A willingness to develop an interest in and knowledge of the ideals and objectives of the co-op overall and of the team and department to which the intern is assigned;
- A work ethic that drives to complete projects and assignments in a timely and quality manner;
- A desire to learn and cooperate with fellow employees and their supervisor;
- A minimum GPA of 3.0;
- Must be 18 years or older.
We are accepting applications for the following areas:
- Engineering (Telecommunications, Electrical, Planning, Field Design, GIS)
The intern will primarily report to the Rockingham Office Complex located south of Harrisonburg, unless otherwise directed by the supervisor.
Internships take place from late May to early August (flexible to the student’s school schedule). This is a paid internship. Mileage and housing will not be provided.
Placement in a department is based on a student’s interests and the cooperative’s needs. The student’s area of study must correlate to their area of interest. The department in which the intern is assigned will provide the work responsibilities in their core focus area.
The intern may work with other specialty areas over the course of the internship to have a well-rounded learning experience of how the cooperative operates. Students will learn about the many aspects of the quickly changing utility industry, participate in hands-on projects that benefit co-op members, and receive guidance and mentoring to help identify their passions and future goals.
Interns will have the opportunity to participate in mock interviews with management during their internship to help further develop skills to be successful in future endeavors. The intern will have the opportunity to participate in an exit interview to provide feedback for SVEC’s internship program.