Telecommunications Infrastructure Engineer
Manage operational functionality of SVEC’s telecommunications infrastructure in order to provide the safest, most reliable services at the lowest possible cost to members while achieving cooperative and departmental goals and objectives within established guidelines.
Reports to: Manager of System Engineering
Directs: System Telecommunications Technician and System Telecommunications Administrator
Responsibilities & Authorities
- Engineer and oversee operational aspects of telecommunication infrastructure to maintain and improve operational functionality.
- Gather and store data, study telecommunication system and keep abreast of requirements to identify needs and plan work which needs to be done.
- Analyze day-to-day operations to maintain a working knowledge of telecommunication system and proactively implement strategies to improve telecommunication system safety, security, operations and reliability.
- Oversee the programming, installation, maintenance, and operations of equipment and controls used by telecommunication systems.
- Maintain accurate electronic and paper drawings in accordance with filing standards of all related telecommunication systems operated by SVEC.
- Engineer and oversee planning and construction aspects of telecommunication infrastructure.
- Design and implement strategies with public and employee safety of foremost importance.
- Design and implement telecommunication infrastructure strategies to optimize daily operations in a secure manner.
- Develop long term strategies in the form of a Telecommunication Infrastructure Work Plan in conjunction with all SVEC stakeholders using best practices, current industry trends and burgeoning technology.
- Work closely with stakeholders to implement SVEC strategies.
- Advise and assist operational personnel as needed.
- Identify, prioritize and assign tasks on both a short-term and long-term basis (i.e., day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month and year-to-year) as needed for telecommunications technicians assigned.
- Evaluate feasibility of outside contractors performing tasks vs. SVEC personnel.
- Solicit, evaluate and select contractors to perform specific operations and supervise outside contractors to ensure desired performance and results.
- Responsible for regulatory compliance and external relationship needs.
- Manage licenses required to operate all aspects of telecommunication system for all local, state and federal agencies (e.g., FCC).
- Manage agreements, leases, or other relationships for properties serving SVEC telecommunication infrastructure.
- Manage agreements, leases, or other relationships associated with 3rd parties occupying/using SVEC infrastructure.
- Manage external relationships associated with current vendor support and contracts.
- Advise and assist Manager of System Engineering to maintain and improve NERC-CIP compliance.
- Work closely with System Engineering and Information Technology department employees to:
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory and security standards or other needs.
- Plan, design and implement telecommunication infrastructure changes (replacements or improvements).
- Troubleshoot or test telecommunication systems.
- Monitor performance of telecommunication systems.
- Maintain general performance of data pipeline needs.
- Advise and assist others in Engineering and Operations to complete their duties and uphold their responsibilities.
- Work closely with System and District Operations to identify issues with the radio system coverage and address those issues to provide a safe operating environment for field personnel.
- Work closely with the Transportation department in scheduling radio infrastructure installation, repair and removal in cooperative vehicles.
- Responsible for budgetary tracking and reporting to help manage the financial position of the cooperative throughout any budgetary year.
- Responsible for vehicle, tools and other SVEC equipment assigned for their use and use by those in the department.
- Assist in special projects as necessary.
Job Related Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or related experience and/or training or equivalent.
- 5 years of experience in the telecommunications field and/or training or equivalent.
- Some experience in computer languages.
- Experience in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong background in utilization of personal computers.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to maintain professionalism and control under all circumstances.
- Has and maintains a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record and is able to operate SVEC vehicles.
- Must become and remain certified in CPR and first aid. Must also be skilled in the use of safety equipment.
- Ability to handle the challenge of operating efficiently under a very flexible schedule due to the number of unanticipated and unplanned requests for services from the various individuals, departments and outside contacts with whom this position is involved.
- Leadership ability and the ability to motivate peers toward goal achievement.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform job responsibilities in a timely manner within established guidelines under minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interview and select employees.
- Ability to supervise, coach and direct employees assigned.
- Ability to work well with other departments’ personnel and to break down “silos.”
- Ability to dissect and resolve complex problems quickly and systematically.
- Ability to gather data and use it to make justifiable and reasonable projections of future growth and needs.
- Expectation to know answers or find answers and explanations to problems or events which are out of the ordinary and which other people don’t understand or don’t know how to research.
- Ability to keep up with technological changes and governmental requirements, which affect job and the cooperative.
- Ability to organize and coordinate material, delivery schedules, contract labor and construction schedules for substations to make sure nothing is forgotten and efficiency is maximized.
- Possess effective techniques to research and access all sources necessary to fulfill position responsibilities.
- Must participate in the On-Call program for the Operations Center (be on standby as required to respond to any problems that arise).
- Must have access to reliable transportation to and from work.
- Participation in SVEC job safety and training programs, relevant workshops, seminars and other SVEC-sponsored courses and events.
- Must be able to use office equipment including telephone, computer, and other systems and related software in the performance of position responsibilities.
- Must be able and available, during any and all types of weather conditions, to work weekends, holidays, evenings and other times outside normal duty hours to assist in service restoration and other emergencies that may arise or when the workload demands.
- Must always maintain an operating telephone or personal communication device at their place of residence. Ability to contact the telephone or personal communication device must be made available to SVEC for the purpose of contacting the engineer to conduct legitimate routine and/or emergency business.
- This position involves primarily inside work. Must be able to lift objects unassisted (up to 30 pounds). Some standing, walking, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling to a minimal degree.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be constructed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please complete an SVEC employment application on our Employment page (a resume may be attached to the completed application). Alternatively, PDF applications can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to SVEC’s Human Resources Department.